Test of English as a Foreign Language
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is a compulsory English test conducted for every student from non-English speaking country looking for overseas education in English speaking countries like, USA, UK, etc. It is a test conducted for assessing the fundamental abilities in English and is accepted by over 6000 colleges and universities in 110 countries. This is over 3 times the number of any other English-language proficiency test. The test is administered in 180 countries at more than 1275 test sites. A TOEFL score is valid for two years and then is deleted from the official database. The maximum score for Internet based TOEFL (Computer Based TOEFL) is 120.
Performing TOEFL test provides several benefits that help you to assists for your overseas education. Some of them are:
- Regardless to the place where you want to study, TOEFL test enables you to reach your desired destination. Depending on the test,score will be eligible for getting admission in college or university in the world.
- There is much flexibility in performing a TOEFL test whenever you want to take. You will be offered practice tools and feedback, and more alternatives to study abroad than any other English-language test in the world
TOEFL enables you various amenities such as, listening to lectures, view films, attend seminars, read textbooks, perform online research, speak with professors and other students, write academic papers, reports, e-mails and more.
TOEFL test consists of four distinct modules, each determining the essential language proficiency that is used in the atmosphere of the academic
- Reading :- This module determines the proficiency of understanding intellectual reading issues. The Reading module consists of 3-5 comprehensive passages (long passages and questions asked about them). They are chosen from the academic topics, which are found in undergraduate university textbooks.
- Listening :- This module determines the proficiency of understanding the English since it is used in the colleges and universities. Listening module consists of 6 comprehensive passages, two passages will be the conversations of the students and the other four will be academic lectures or discussions. Students have to understand the conversations and answer for the passage questions.
- Speaking :- This module determines the proficiency of speaking in English. Speaking module consists of 6 tasks, two independent tasks and four integrated tasks. In the independent tasks, students have to answer opinion questions concerning to the academic life. In two of the integrated tasks, students have to read a passage, listen to a passage and speak about how the ideas in the two passages are related.In the other two integrated tasks, students have to listen to long passages, review them and speak about the information in the passages.
Writing :- This module determines the proficiency of writing that is pertinent for colleges and universities assignments. This module consists of two tasks, one independent task where students have to read an academic passage, listen to an academic passage and write their reviews about the two passages. Another is the integrated task where students have to write an own essay.
|Section||Description||Testing Time||Questions||Score Scale|
|Reading||3-5 passages from academic texts;
approximately 700 words long; 12-14 questions per passage.
|60-100 minutes||36-70 questions||0-30|
|Listening||4-6 lectures, some with classroom discussion;
each 3-5 minutes long; 6 questions each.
2-3 conversations; each 3 minutes long; 5 questions each.
|60-90 minutes||34-51 questions||0-30|
|Speaking||2 tasks to express an opinion on a familiar topic;
4 tasks to speak based on what is read and listened to.
|20 minutes||6 tasks||0-4 points converted to 0-30 score scale|
|Writing||1 task to write based on what is read and listened to;
1 task to support an opinion on a topic.
|50 minutes||2 tasks||0-5 points converted to 0-30 score scale|
|Post Secondary Level||TOEFL @ iBT|
|Time Length||4:30 hrs|